Daniel Lockwood focuses on construction contracts and defects, surety bonds, creditor rights, enforcing indemnitor obligations, and appellate advocacy. Before practicing construction and commercial litigation, he served as a staff attorney for the Texas Appellate Courts, where he helped resolve a wide variety of complex legal issues.
- Pepperdine University School of Law (J.D., and Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution Certificate, 2012).
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A., History, 2009).
Staff Attorney at Texas Court of Appeals
- Drafted opinions, court orders, and dispositions of original proceedings;
- Assisted in resolving a broad array of issues stemming from pleas to the jurisdiction, special appearances, rule 11 agreements, discovery orders, summary judgments, voir dire, directed verdicts, jury charges, pre- and post-trial motions, expert testimony, adverse rulings, evidentiary challenges, and damages;
- Reviewed briefs, records, and oral arguments and researched case law and statutes;
- Edited court opinions for substance, usage, and style.
Judicial Intern at Texas Court of Appeals
- Helped write opinions covering diverse civil and criminal issues;
- Briefed judicial panel in preparation for oral argument;
- Composed memoranda analyzing complex areas of the law and statutory interpretation;
- Analyzed briefs, evaluated appeals, conducted legal research, and recommended holdings.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State Courts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Appellate Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-authored section II of What’s Appealing About the New Dismissal and Expedited Trial Rules for the 23rd Annual Conference on State and Federal Appeals (June 2013)
- Updated Default Judgments in Texas for Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course (2014)